Mixed: New Year’s Day 2019
There is an experience that arises in Movement Medicine ceremonies – when we land in what the MM maps call the 5th dimension: the place of Spirit, of unity, or what gets called ‘oneness’. The dancefloor always has that potential…. I’ve always wanted to bring this more explicitly into a mix, so this is a kind of musical take on that old Sufi metaphor of us and all creation being droplets in the ocean of love .
Then the honchos at One Dance Tribe asked me to make something in preparation for a ODT gathering in New York, at which I was teaching. Their vision is of the dance (explored through a diversity of movement practices) creating a field of love and transformation, so I went with that.
Finally, this mix is part 1 of another pair (actually probably part 2 of a pair) to be joined in due course by a Diversity Prayer. More on that still to follow, but just here, I want to include some perspective that we can’t find unity before we we have recognition, and enabling, of diversity and difference.
Big gratitude to all the singers, instrument-players and producers channelling medicine and love through their music.
01. The Other Shore – Raphaël & Shastro
02. Spring of Life – Ark of dream
03. Keep Your Heart Right – Terry Callier
04. The Prayer – Jepthé Guillaume
05. The WJ – Dennis Ferrer, Jerome Sydenham
06. The Thief That Stole My Sad Days – Moodymann
07. Garden of Love – Winston McAnuff & Fixi
08. Shibren (El Búho Remix) – Bukahara
09. In Lak’ Ech Ala Kin – Dave Kearney
10. Universal Reprise – 4Hero
11. The Whole Universe Wants to Be Touched – Nils Frahm
12. Adonai Ori – Bettina Maureen Ji